Re;flat plate reliability--was thermax [RE-wrenches]

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Tue Feb 1 19:39:07 PST 2005

2-Day Tax Refund Loans TaxBrain Online Tax Service Get Started
Now!
http://click.topica.com/caac8vhbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/TaxBrain

Of the hundreds of SHW systems I have installed or serviced since 1976, none
have been taken out of service because the collectors just 'failed' or 'wore
out'. Some of my large tank, corrosion free, drainback systems have gone
more than 20 years with minimal  service needs since installation . The
larger problem is with  anti-freeze systems--not changing fluid,
over-temperature, failed vents and expansion tanks [ correlates with the
first two ] , leaking storage tanks due to anode rod not being replaced,
[also correlates with extreme temps].Simple measures to avoid overheating--
a durability as well as liability issue-- and regular  5 yr. maintenance,
result in indefinite system life.

More general problems,in my experience, are; 1--asphalt roofs needing
replacement when collectors have not been installed with flashing under the
bottom mounts to allow for shingle replacement without moving the
collectors, and 2-- 20 years of tree growth and shading of collectors [ I
had one that was completely covered by a maple tree] and 3-- new owners that
didn't inquire about the system when they bought,didn't know or care about
the value of the system, or just assumed that it was not an asset because of
the many shoddy systems installed with tax credits.

I suspect these same problems will affect PV systems only more so because of
;1-- larger roof area, 2--greater susceptibility to shading, and, 3-- well,
maybe the industry has learned some lessons from the 70's. What do you all
think in the high rebate states? I don't see many wrenches on this list from
NJ-- and what is the percentage from CA?

As for Zev's comment re flat plates, he seems to not be aware of selective
surfaces, and he took a cheap shot , and that is not how this industry will
prosper. Evacuated tubes may prove their durability as flat plates have, but
they will face the same problems cited above. Kelly, please tell Zev I will
address my concerns to Dr Mahjouri at Thermomax.
Thanks to all for your collective wisdom---

Ken Schaal  CommonWealth Solar, LLC

Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
http://click.topica.com/caac8udbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php