California Green Tags [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 08:48:01 PST 2005

Actually there is a very interesting detail to this that is worth noting.
Last time I checked, it was *not* the LADWP _rebate_ paperwork
that indicated that the utility would get to count the green attribute
of solar...but rather the _net metering_ paperwork. That's a subtle
but noteworthy mistake that I have pointed out several times.

It's particularly relevant for grid-tie solar customers who do not
apply for or receive a utility rebate. Basically the current LADWP
paperwork seems to require all solar net-metering customers to
sign over the power attributes even if they received *NO* rebate!!

I'm definitely share some of Graham's concerns about PV.

/wk

>I won't get into a long discussion here, it's way to complicated.
>
>As I see it, there is a big difference between Municipal Utilities and
>Investor Owned Utilities, and both currently have mandated Renewable
>Portfolio Standards to comply with.  I'll focus on LADWP a Muni whose owners
>are the ratepayers that subsidize the PV incentives.  Should renewable
>energy attributes be credited towards the RPS even though the end consumer
>pays a sizable percentage of the installation cost?  Should the growing MW's
>of PV on LADWP's count towards the RPS?  If not, the money will go towards
>more city owned wind turbines in the desert resulting in decreased
>deployment of PV locally.
>
>LADWP PV incentive reservation forms clearly state the following "the
>customer agrees to allow LADWP to account for renewable energy generated by
>the PV system for reporting purposes".  This did not bother me tremendously
>until I was threatened by a very prominent individual whose firm is in the
>business of selling renewable energy credits.  I will not mention names
>here.  Basically they want to keep the REC market clean, which means no
>double counting of renewable energy, so if any of my customers make public
>statements that their property is solar powered, this is double counting,
>and will result in legal action.  I was also told that if I showed pictures
>on my web site and claimed these properties are solar powered, legal action
>will be necessary.  Two entities cannot claim the same solar power.
>
>I'm still not exactly sure what the benefits of renewable energy credits
>are?  Does this allow purchasers of REC's to pollute more elsewhere without
>jeopardy?  Is it just a way for some to make money in the PV field without
>the burden of installation and warranty issues we wrenches have?  Perhaps
>crafty well funded polluters who also manufacture PV modules will convince
>policy makers that incentive funding should be directed towards new home
>construction, wont cost builders anything because they will lease the PV
>installations, allowing these polluters to capture the REC's, resulting in
>reduction and/or elimination of penalty and fines for increased pollution
>elsewhere, at ratepayer expense.
>
>As I mentioned, it's all very complicated, and some folks still wonder why
>I've refocused back on solar swimming pool heating.
>
>Graham
>
>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
>http://click.topica.com/caac2NUbz8Qcsbdh77Hf/PermissionData
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
http://click.topica.com/caac2N5bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php