California Green Tags [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Mon Jan 10 20:41:41 PST 2005

** Get Your Own Support-a-Cure Yellow Bracelet for $1.99 **
Show your support for finding cures for both AIDS & Cancer.
Get yours for just $1.99. This bracelet makes a difference.
http://click.topica.com/caacYkkbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Penn Media

Hey Mo,

I won't get into a long discussion here, it's way to complicated.

As I see it, there is a big difference between Municipal Utilities and
Investor Owned Utilities, and both currently have mandated Renewable
Portfolio Standards to comply with.  I'll focus on LADWP a Muni whose owners
are the ratepayers that subsidize the PV incentives.  Should renewable
energy attributes be credited towards the RPS even though the end consumer
pays a sizable percentage of the installation cost?  Should the growing MW's
of PV on LADWP's count towards the RPS?  If not, the money will go towards
more city owned wind turbines in the desert resulting in decreased
deployment of PV locally.

LADWP PV incentive reservation forms clearly state the following "the
customer agrees to allow LADWP to account for renewable energy generated by
the PV system for reporting purposes".  This did not bother me tremendously
until I was threatened by a very prominent individual whose firm is in the
business of selling renewable energy credits.  I will not mention names
here.  Basically they want to keep the REC market clean, which means no
double counting of renewable energy, so if any of my customers make public
statements that their property is solar powered, this is double counting,
and will result in legal action.  I was also told that if I showed pictures
on my web site and claimed these properties are solar powered, legal action
will be necessary.  Two entities cannot claim the same solar power.

I'm still not exactly sure what the benefits of renewable energy credits
are?  Does this allow purchasers of REC's to pollute more elsewhere without
jeopardy?  Is it just a way for some to make money in the PV field without
the burden of installation and warranty issues we wrenches have?  Perhaps
crafty well funded polluters who also manufacture PV modules will convince
policy makers that incentive funding should be directed towards new home
construction, wont cost builders anything because they will lease the PV
installations, allowing these polluters to capture the REC's, resulting in
reduction and/or elimination of penalty and fines for increased pollution
elsewhere, at ratepayer expense.

As I mentioned, it's all very complicated, and some folks still wonder why
I've refocused back on solar swimming pool heating.

Graham

Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caac2NUbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com