Mutiple Array Spacing at 38deg N Latitude [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Jan 11 08:44:48 PST 2005

Jeremy,

I'm a little confused--I saw lots of trig flying around and some good
advise, but I'm not so sure the concept has been properly relayed. The
vertical distance from the top of the first row to the bottom of the second
row is the concern. If you don't want to do a lot of trig and worry about
which way the cells are facing on the module and so on, three times the
vertical distance is best for 38deg N up into the mid 40degN latitudes.
Twice the vertical height is okay in lower latitudes (30-33degN), but it is
a real compromise at 38degN.

I'm not saying it's wrong or evil, it is just not good practice. If the room
is available, always go 3 times the height in all three directions (east,
south, and west). Anything less will begin to produce shading that will
eventually become very significant. I can see a lot of folks starting to use
2 x vertical height as a standard row spacing, and that is not what we
should be preaching. If you can't fit the extra space, then you need to
explain to the customer that the row spacing chosen is a compromise between
available space and inter-row shading. It is nearly always better to reduce
tilt angle to achieve the 3:1 spacing than it is to push down to the 2:1
spacing.

Bill.