Submersible Pump Advice [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Dec 22 19:37:40 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaegt3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Esteemed Wrenches,

Customer lives offgrid with a 1998 24V system: 900W array, SB6024, DR2424. A
SunRise pump is set at 300' by hand method, run from batteries with a 24-60V
battery pump controller. Both pump and controller replaced with rebuilt
units within last 6 months.

Aside: Gary Hegg of Total Light and Power in Pie Town NM, 505 772-5759,
http://www.solarstraw.com/dankoff.html is servicing SunRise pumps for anyone
still using them.

Customer is insecure about sticking with the SunRise and has asked for a
quote for a new system. I'm looking for comparative advice. He wants
automatic operation off of a float switch, so no AC pumps running off his
gennie. At this depth, my choices are:

SQFlex, but only running on AC power, as the pump needs at least 30 VDC, and
the system voltage is 24V. Does the SQF do fine on mod-square power?

Lorentz/ETA, but the 24V mini won't work at 300', and the bigger units don't
work at 24V, so we would have to work out a relay-based diversion of part of
the array (which is wired 48Vnom) to run an array-direct controller. We can
do this, but the trenching for the additional wires wouldn't be pretty.

Any other ideas? Note that the customer's budget prevents big-picture
solutions like a 48V system upgrade, or even a new inverter.

Thank you for the help.
Allan at Positive E

Save up to $1,500 on your phone bill with Packet8
Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month Free!
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaegt4bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com