Digest for RE-wrenches at topica.com, issue 1929 [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Fri Nov 18 09:00:45 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaedmqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Jay, Bill, ...

I had good results twice with my local Batteries Plus but now I have a
failed Milwaukee battery and I have to look into it again. My charger
keeps the battery warm as long as it's plugged in and I know it had
been in for a few days more  than once. I suspect it got dried out.
Damn cheap chargers are the weak link.

Lithium Ion batteries cannot be used as direct replacements. They
require a specific charging method or they will explode. The battery
has a special chip inside and (as you will notice on your cell phone)
generally 4 wires, to carry power and to give data to the charger to
know when to back off. Don't mess with Lithium Ion batteries without
the dedicated charger.

Windy

> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:54:39 -0500
> From: Bill Loesch <bill_loesch at compuserve.com>
> Subject: RE: rechargeable batteries [RE-wrenches]
>
> Jay et al,
>
> As resourseful as I would like to think most wrenches are on this list,
> this is a DIY task. The only trick is to obtain cells with solder
> tabs. If
> the cells have solder tabs you can do the rebuild yourself just by
> observing how the original pack is built. If you cannot locate cells
> with
> solder tabs then you should use some $2K spot welder which most of the
> Batteries Minus shops have. If you try to _solder_ the tabs on the
> cells
> you will overheat the cells if you ever get the solder to adhere to the
> cell case.
>
> When you are rebuilding, get NiMH to replace the NiCd cells. Observe
> how
> the mfgr. locates the overheat sensor and any other goodies in the
> pack and
> duplicate that setup. I've recently seen Lithium Ion chemistry
> advertized
> as the current standard for battery tools. No knowledge as to their
> direct
> replacement for the NiMH.
>
> The eBay route is what I too, have used more than once.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Bill Loesch
> Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
> 314 631 1094

FREE DVR
And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
http://click.topica.com/caaeas1bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/DirectSatTV

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php