Charging pumps and air ellimination techniques[RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Tue Oct 18 20:21:55 PDT 2005

So Much Television, Such Little Time!  In Love with Lost(TM) or
Devoted to Desperate Housewives(TM)? Take our premier week
survey, complete our offers, and get a FREE* DVD set of either
show!
http://click.topica.com/caad3Qabz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Viewer Survey

Hi Brian,

One good way to remove air from your closed loop system is to pass a
_large_ volume of water through your system. The air bubles get caught in
the flow and get expelled in your bucket resevoir. Lacking a large flow
pump perhaps you could fill from the top (actually fill under pressure so
you overfill, so as to allow for the reduction in volume the vented air
will produce.) Use the circulating pump move the fluid past the high vent.

I've seen larger systems installed recently by someone who "worked in the
solar inductry in the 80's" using the antiquated air scoop with float
valve. While a microbubble seperator (sometimes refered to as a coalescing
filter) is definately more money than a float valve mabe even more money
than the air scoop and float valve combo, I would not even consider a
system without using one of these devices. Substitute this problem solver
for the high vent and stop even entrained air remaining in the system.

Bill Loesch
Solar 1- Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094

Message text written by INTERNET:RE-wrenches at topica.com

Wrenches,

What pumps or other techniques are you using for the initial system fill
for
closed loop solar hot water? We are currently using a Teel 1/2 hp
centrifugal utility pump and we have to turn it on and off repeatedly
because the flow drops off after a few seconds even when there is no
pressure in the loop. It takes a long time to get the air out of a
system
this way. Not to mention it's frustrating. Would a positive displacement

pump solve this?

Thank you,

BRIAN VICK
Whidbey Sun & Wind
Renewable Energy Systems
360-678-7131
brian at whidbeysunwind.com
987 Wanamaker Rd
Coupeville, WA. 98239
<

Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
http://click.topica.com/caad6r9bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Your opinion

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com