Lightning protection [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin solar at ecoisp.com
Sat Jul 23 10:57:47 PDT 2005

Ben & Jerry’s® or Häagen-Dazs®?
Take our Nationwide Ice Cream Survey today! Receive a FREE* $100
Restaurant Gift Card of your choice or $100 worth of Ben &
Jerry’s® or Häagen-Dazs® ice cream for participating!
http://click.topica.com/caadKb7bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Ice Cream Research Survey

On an array in a lightning intensive area we have beefed up the grounding
system and added extra surge protection.

Would it be a good idea to put a surge protector on the array itself.  The
array is protected by an Outback ground fault protection system (OBDC
GFP/2), so that the circuit could possibly open on a surge.  We would put
the surge protector on the combiner box, which is a disconnect with
cartridge fuses.

My concern is that the frame of the array will connect to the circuit
conductors if the protector clamps.  As I understand the issue, the frame
is the first part of the array to become energized.  If the system clamps
due to high voltage on the frame, could it back feed static from the frame
into the system?

Or could we figure the ground rods will dissipate the static before this
becomes a problem?  Or since both circuit conductors and the frame will all
be at the same potential if the surge arrestor clamps, would that alleviate
the problem?

Thanks,

Drake

Get $1000.00 Overnight! Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! Many Lenders are 100% Paperless!
Let The Wizard Find the right Lender for you!
http://click.topica.com/caadHk8bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/911PaydayAdvance

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com