Commercial metal roof installations... [RE-wrenches]

Jim Duncan ntrei at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 5 15:26:53 PDT 2005

Take movies and games anywhere with a Free Playstation Portable!
http://click.topica.com/caadz4ebz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

On a brighter note...
I bid on a PV installation on a metal roof of a building built by a
commercial construction company. The companys owner assured me that he
never uses "standing-seam" panels, only a ~4 ft. wide heavier gauge
steel in 20 foot lengths. Its seams and ribs are about 1 inch wide and
flat on top and are on about 16 in. centers.
None of the S-5! mounting clamps appear to match the profile of these
ridges. Besides the ridges and seams sides slant out at about a 45
degree angle down to the surface of the roof.
The builder and I went over my needs for a flat stable surface to mount
typical standoffs to. He explained that any time he needed a mounting
surface on one of his roofs, he attaches a length of angle steel across
the standing ridges and attaches it with "pop-rivets". He reinforces the
mounting points to the interior frame of the building; though never
detailed how. I assume he has access to the inside during construction
and blind attachments aren't an issue.
On the surface, it makes sense and would reduce the number of
penetrations and potential leaks.
Enough sense that I am considering a similar design for a 10 kW system
on another much larger roof with near identical ridges only on 1 foot
centers. This roof is aluminum, and has insulation below the surface.
That requires blind rivets.
some questions:
What type of heavy duty blind riveting or attaching systems are out
there in use that could work thru 2, 16-22 gauge surfaces.
Has anyone used a similar method for mounting to metal roofs.
How to waterproof and isolate dis-similar metal surfaces.
Thanks
Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
Fort Worth, Texas

Get a Free T-Mobile Sidekick II plus $500 towards service!
Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caadAcqbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php