L-16 batts -terminals and US Batt charge volts [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Thu May 19 09:09:31 PDT 2005

Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get

0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
http://click.topica.com/caadtrVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DiscoverCard

I am out to visit a customer to check on - you guessed it - the terminal
connections.  I had my crew do a swap out of his trojan L-16s - replaced
with US battery units.  I have not yet seen these - I ASSUMED that we would
get L terminals but now I learn that I have to specifically spec them.  My
crew described sub-optimal connections and concern over surface area etc...
The customer has called and said that when he slams (way too much) amps
through with his DC genny the amps don't fall as quickly as they used to
with his trojans (which were replaced cause they were old and shot...)

This is a 12 batt 24 VDC bank, and he likes to charge with 200 amps  (about
c/6). he said that the amps would go down to 160 after about 20 minutes, and
steadily fall, with the old bank. (Volts rise... duh... watts about the
same).  His concern is that the amps just stayed at 200 with this bank.

I will be checking out for good contact area and torque on the terminals
(spec? till the bolt bites into the lead a bit...) and then look for hot
spots at these connections during charging.  Any other ideas or is this
pretty expected... I've never charged a bank with anything like 200 amps so
this is new territory.

finally - and this could be a separate thread - the US batt
website/instructions call for charge current at c/10 and charge voltage at
2.583 per cell!  That is 30.966!!!! and then hold for 2-4 hours!!!! What????
Their float spec was 26.04 Volts (2.17/cell).  I know that "cycled" batts in
scrubbers in the different universe of grid fed chargers are different, and
we often "modify" these parameters to find a balance between health of the
batt, what the RE system can provide, and watering chore frequency...  but
these numbers seem off the charts.  I would equalize at 30!

WRENCH SURVEY:
Please share your set points for L-16s (T-105s?) KS-17s (Surette/IBE) and
gells/AGMs - this I think would be very useful info.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street
Athens, OH 45701

www.third-sun.com
(740) 597-3111

Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadvf5bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Nexiderm

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php