The UniRac SunFrame Cap Strip screw Recall [RE-wrenches]

Steve Fain sfain at unirac.com
Thu May 12 13:33:03 PDT 2005

Get both the MiFi XM Satellite Radio and an Apple iPod for Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaJbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Esteemed Wrenches,

      My name is Steve Fain, and I'm the Customer Service/Tech Support Rep
at UniRac, in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  Marco Mangelsdorf asked about the
problems with UniRac mounting hardware on the Wrenches List last Tuesday,
and Jeff Irish (thanks Jeff!) did a great job of explaining the basic
situation.  Please allow me to elaborate.

            First, the problem is only with the Cap Strip screws for the
SunFrame product line.  There is no problem with mounting hardware for any
other UniRac product.

      The self-drilling stainless steel screws that attach the Cap Strips to
our SunFrame rails are defective.  A metallurgical report from an
independent laboratory determined that microscopic fractures were being
introduced into the shanks of the screws during the manufacturing process,
and the fractures were opening up, especially in corrosive environments
(moist salt-air, acid rain, etc.). In some cases many screws have broken,
and in others just a few or none, but in no case are there reports of total
failure or catastrophe.  The upshot, though, is that all Cap Strip screws
installed up until April, 2005 should be considered defective, and in need
of replacement.  Everything purchased or shipped since then has different
hardware that will not cause problems.

      As soon as UniRac learned of the situation, we became aggressively
pro-active in contacting installers that have put in SunFrame systems, and
we're now working with them to replace the defective screws with new ones,
and offering compensation to do so.

      I believe that everyone who has installed a SunFrame system has
already been contacted, but if there's anyone out there who has installed
SunFrame and is not familiar with this recall, please contact me directly as
soon as possible.

      To all of you who have been working with us to right our wrong, many
thanks and great appreciation for your patience and kindness.

Steve Fain

Customer Service/ Tech Support

UniRac, Inc.

3201 University Blvd., S.E.

Ste. 110

Albuquerque, NM  87106

Ph:  505-242-6411 ext. 21

Fx:  505-242-6412

Email:   <mailto:sfain at unirac.com> sfain at unirac.com

Personal Email:  solarman1010 at yahoo.com

Web:     <http://www.unirac.com/> http://www.unirac.com

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaHbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Amazing Computer

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com