DC-rated switches [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windydankoff at mac.com
Thu May 12 09:13:43 PDT 2005

Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get…
0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
http://click.topica.com/caadtrVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DiscoverCard

Eric,

Wiring switch contact in series helps extinguish the arc when the
contacts break. Two gaps in series would have half the voltage across
each one, except the action is never perfectly symmetrical, so one will
be weaker, and will extinguish much sooner during break.

When a switch is wired to break both sides of a circuit, each pole of
the switch is in series with the circuit, just at different places
(which makes no difference from the point of view of current because it
is the same everywhere through the circuit). So, it takes advantage of
the arc suppression of series-contacts.

The switch is rated for V and A under assumption that the contacts WILL
all be used by wiring them in series (one way or the other). So, if you
break only one side, you are REQUIRED to wire the poles in series or
you are violating the ratings (the design intention) of the switch! At
worst, it will sustain an arc and the contacts will melt, etc.

An aside -- this applies to pressure switches used in water systems
too! It comes up when a 115V pump is us used and one side is neutral,
or a DC pump is used and one side is neg-ground (not to be broken).

I hope this is clear.

Windy

>> I recently visited a grid-tie PV system where a siemens Heavy Duty
>> Switch
>> (Type VBII) was used for the array disconnect. In a negative grounded
>> system do these switches need to have the positive conductor pass
>> through
>> two (or more) poles of the switch in DC applications? I can't find
>> anything on the Seimens site to indicate yea or nay.
>>

>> Eric Smiley,  MASc
>> Project Leader - Technology Centre
>> British Columbia Institute of Technology

Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadvf5bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Nexiderm

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php