Solar Thermal storage [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Tue May 10 14:33:13 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without Botox!
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68%. Click
here to start looking younger today!
http://click.topica.com/caadslIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

I have a not so typical project, and I would really appreciate some input:

The customer has a (really complicated) Tarm wood gassifier with an 800
gallon atmospheric tank.  The Tarm has it's own treated water loop through a
double (parallel) immersed coil heat exchanger.  Also - there is a HE for
DHW pre-heat (actually it is valved to bypass the HW tank and brought down
with a mixing valve) and another HE for a closed radiant floor system. All
of these HE are 55 gallon drum sized coils of soft 3/4 copper pipe - I think
about 90' per coil.

So - all is well and the customer has a budget for (5) 48 SF flat plate
collectors - My question is about how to tie in?  I want to avoid opening
this tank - I am thinking of an external (flat plate) heat exchanger and the
appropriate check valves and pumps to make use of one of the existing coils
(Radiant) to store heat (and when radiant system is calling for heat to use
it directly).  The extra pump and HE are negatives, as is the "double" heat
exchanger loss.

Option B is to open the tank and use an HE with the storage water directly.

Option C is to charge the radiant system with glycol and integrate it with
the collectors.

Option D is to do an open drain back with the actual stored water running in
the collectors (risking a freeze should a control fail).

Option E is your better idea...

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street
Athens, OH 45701

www.third-sun.com
(740) 597-3111

Save up to 75% on luxury bed & bath! Luxury sheets, duvets,
down comforters, plush towels & more woven from the finest
materials -- 400, 600, 1000 thread count & more from $29.99!
http://click.topica.com/caadt4Abz8Qcsbz9JC9f/SmartBargains

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com