Grounding conductor [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson sunwise at cheqnet.net
Fri Mar 18 13:46:08 PST 2005

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadeMmbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Amazing Computer

Greetings all,

I remember years ago we were told that the grounding electrode conductor
had to be as large as the largest conductor in the system, often a 2/0
or 4/0 cable (nobody did it).  I thought in the last writing of the NEC
(or the one before that) a provision was made allowing for a more
reasonable sized grounding electrode conductor.

Yet for the life of me, I can't seem to find it.  690 says to use
250.166 and (B) (weren't not talking A) says the grounding electrode
conductor shall not be smaller than the largest conductor supplying the
system and not smaller than 8 AWG copper, etc.

Are we still supposed to be compliant with this code or is there
something here I am not seeing?

Thanks in advance -- Kurt Nelson

How would you like a Complimentary Kmart $500 GiftCard by
participating in our special promotion?
http://click.topica.com/caadi1cbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/RewardsVenue

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php