new wire for array wiring? [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Mon Dec 13 21:30:04 PST 2004

Attention Women! Win a $50,000 Ultimate Makeover! Become the
newest “Hottie” on the block. Or use the $50,000 how you wish.
Make it yours below!
http://click.topica.com/caacVl6bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Vente

Hi Matt, I had this discussion with others not on the list earlier in=20
the year.
I am underlining the relevant sentences.
The following is the commentary from the 2002 NEC Handbook.
___________________________________________________________________________=
__

ARTICLE 338 Service-Entrance Cable: Types SE and USE
I. General
338.1 Scope.
This article covers the use, installation, and construction=20
specifications of service-entrance cable.
According to the 2001 UL Electrical Construction Materials Directory,=20
category TXKT (service cable) and category TYLZ (service-entrance cable=20
rated 600 volts) are listed in sizes 14 AWG and larger for copper and 12=20
AWG and larger for aluminum or copper-clad aluminum. Type SE cable=20
contains Types RHW, RHW=AD2, XHHW, XHHW=AD2, THWN, or THWN=AD2 conductors.=
=20
Type USE cable contains conductors with insulation equivalent to RHW or=20
XHHW. _Type USE-2 contains insulation equivalent to RHW-2 or XHHW-2 and=20
is rated 90=B0C wet or dry. _
The type designation of the conductors may be marked on the surface of=20
the cable. When used, this marking indicates the temperature rating for=20
the cable corresponding to the temperature rating of the conductors.=20
When this marking does not appear, the temperature rating of the cable=20
is 75=B0C. The cables are designated as Type SE, Type USE or USE-2, and=20
submersible water pump cable.
Type SE, cable for aboveground installation. Both the individual=20
insulated conductors and the outer jacket or finish of Type SE are=20
suitable for use where exposed to sun.
Type USE or USE-2, cable for underground installation, including burial=20
directly in the earth. Cable in sizes 4/0 AWG and smaller and having all=20
conductors insulated is suitable for all of the underground uses for=20
which Type UF cable is permitted by the Code. Types USE and USE-2 are=20
not suitable for use in premises or above ground except to terminate at=20
the service equipment or metering equipment. _Both the insulation and=20
the outer covering, when used on single and multiconductor Types USE and=20
USE-2, are suitable for use where exposed to sun.
___________________________________________________________________________=
_____________

Much to my suprise, we concluded that XHHW-2 is rated for exposure to=20
the sun.

Maybe a commentary from John Wiles would be useful at this time.

cul deant

Matt Lafferty wrote:

> <>All:
>
> XHHW-2 is NOT rated for direct sunlight exposure! I hope it's not being
> installed outside of a raceway or UV resistant cable sheathing!
>
> It is an awsome conductor type for use between the J-Box and the=
 Inverter.
> I recommend it over THWN-2. Much tougher insulation.
>
> Two cents... Wish they were Euros...
>
> Matt Lafferty
> Universal Energies Institute
> mlafferty at universalenergies.com
> (415) 252-0343
> (916) 914-2247 Fax

--=20
Dean T. Newberry
Marketing and Sales

Quantum Energy Group
256 Applegate School Road
Applegate, Ca. 95703

Tel: 530 878-4585
Fax: 530 878-6685
Cel: 530 867-2392

deant at dcn.org
http://www.talbottsolar.com/
http://mjdsolar.com/

We can reduce your unsecured credit card debt by 40-60%.
Don’t file bankruptcy.  Be Debt Free in as little as 1 year. Take
control of your situation.  100% FREE Consultation.
http://click.topica.com/caacVlYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/KnockOutDebt

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com