new wire for array wiring? [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Dec 13 23:51:19 PST 2004

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacVmdbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Jeff:

I know I'm a lone voice in the wilderness on this issue, but I just can't
give up the concept that has been drilled into me my entire
career:  building wire belongs in conduit.  Add in the fact that these
circuits run up to 600 VDC, well, that scares me.  The first kid that dies
puts the entire industry back 10 years.

I'm off my soap box now.  The drugs will kick in soon and I'll be just fine.

William

PS:  What kind of conduit have you been using?  I've never had water
intrusion in 15 years.

WM

At 11:08 PM 12/12/2004, you wrote:

>William,
>
>While I understand and respect your opinion, no way am I going to push
>to go back to wiring each panel with wire and conduit. Lots of problems
>in that set up to after 20 years on a roof. Too many places for water to
>get into. Give me a potted JB any day, and proper installation
>techniques. I agree, 20 feet unprotected across a roof is not good. We
>bring the USE-2 right to the edge of the array, tie-wrapping it as we
>go, and into a single PVC JB at the array edge. At that point we
>transition cleanly to whatever we want, typically THHN in PVC conduit.
>(Yes, the THHN is cross-labeled as THWN-2, at least last time I looked.
>But try asking for THWN-2 and everyone looks at you cross-eyed around
>here.)
>

>Jeff Wolfe
>Global Resource Options
>800-374-4494

We can reduce your unsecured credit card debt by 40-60%.
Don’t file bankruptcy.  Be Debt Free in as little as 1 year. Take
control of your situation.  100% FREE Consultation.
http://click.topica.com/caacVlYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/KnockOutDebt

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com