Filtering EMF/RF noise [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 18:00:37 PST 2004

4 Free Low-Fat recipes
http://click.topica.com/caacVmebz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Kurt,

I have the same setup in my house, but I have noticed the 809HS making
more RF noise than the El Cids, though both make some RF noise. My
situation is not that bad, but I can't tell you why. All I can suggest
is to try grounding the case of the El Cid's after making sure it
doesn't cause any faults to do so.

BTW- I have 5 ElCid's for 5 loops/zones. If I had done the numbers as I
now know how to, I would have used a single Grundfos UP15-10B7 at 25
watts (120vAC) and zone valves, instead of 5 El Cid's at 10 watts each
for a total of 50 watts. Yes, some inverter loss, but still more
efficient and quieter, and a LOT less expensive.

Brad
AEE

sunwise wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I have recently installed a few off-grid PV systems wherein the home is
> heated with in-floor radiant heat.  With the use of high efficiency DC
> pumps the total electric load of the heating system can be as little as
> 20 watts when running and zero when the thermostat is satisfied.
>
> The problem is with the annoying static in FM radio reception when the
> pumps are operating.  Brushed motors run the March 809 zone pumps and
> the smallest, brushless El Sid pump circulates water through the heat
> exchanger on the hot water heater.  I thought it would have been the
> brushes, but it turns out it is the El Sid brushless motor making most
> of the noise.
>
> The filter I tried did nothing and was essentially a choke (10 ohm wire
> wound resistor) and a diode (6A rectifier) in the positive line just
> before a 4,700 mF, 35 volt electrolytic capacitor across the conductors
> at the pump.
>
> BTW, a portable, battery operated radio picks up the noise so the
> interference is not on the power supply lines to the home's radios.
>
> Any thoughts greatly appreciated -- Kurt Nelson

Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
http://click.topica.com/caacVmkbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/LeadClick

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com