new wire for array wiring? [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Tue Dec 7 21:58:36 PST 2004

<x-flowed>

Colleagues:

I disagree with the use of modules that do not have junction boxes.  While
I am opposed to un-conduited PV wiring on roof-top installations, I am
REALLY opposed to un-conduited PV wiring on ground-mount
installations.  Ground mount racks, as seen through the eyes of a child,
are known as jungle gyms.

Without junction boxes, the installer has no option of removing the
unprotected wires and installing conduit.  Regardless if you like tray
cable installations or not, can we agree that some installations and some
installers need the option of attaching conduit to junction boxes?

Furthermore, after you finishing connecting all of your modules in strings,
you need to get the source circuit wire into the structure.  Without
junction boxes, you need to transition somehow to conduit, and with a
junction box, this can be done easily.

I'd like to see installers, as a united group, lobby the industry to
require junction boxes.

William Miller

At 08:53 PM 12/7/2004, Carl Reuter wrote:
>William the modules I have been using are Sharp 167s which have an open
>circuit voltage of 29 vdc and Sharp only offers all their 165s, 167s,
>175s and 185s with 4' leads and MC jacks on the ends, which I am sold on
>for series string configuring. At one point they stopped making their
>123s with j boxes and only offered MC connects but quickly realized the
>stupidity of that and now offer j boxes again. Those 167s have a weird
>lip on the frame extrusion designed to fit with some architectural trim
>strips but I think they are getting rid of that lipped extrusion at some
>point also.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php