Residential air-air vent heat exchanger source? [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Sun Dec 5 13:25:11 PST 2004

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacVmdbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Jeff,

You've hit on an important point when looking at HRV's. The efficiency
listed is the heat exchange efficiency, not the motor or electrical
efficiency. None of the manufacturers (we talked to several a few years
back) cares about the efficiency of the motor, since all the marketing
surrounds the heat exchange efficiency.

Our work around for both energy efficiency in on-grid homes and plain
potential to be able to be operated much in off-grid homes is to
dramatically oversize the unit, and run it on low speed. An oversized
unit needs a lot less fan push to move the air through it, and any fan
is more efficient at slower speed. We cut energy use on these units by
2/3 or more by doing this, at minimal extra capital cost. Typical rule
of thumb is to size the unit per the manufacturer, then go up two sizes,
making sure that the low speed fan operation is about the right cfm
rate.

So far as manufacturers, here are a few I've heard of:
Fantech (great fans) http://www.fantech.net/hrv_erv.htm
American Aldes (http://www.americanaldes.com/HRVRes.html)
Venmar http://www.venmar-ventilation.com/Vent/Eng/hrv2500.html

I cannot personally vouch for any of the above. We refer all folks
interested in HRV's to a great contractor in VT who specializes in just
that.

And an article for Popular Mechanics (SEE! Energy efficiency is making
some in roads)
http://popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/how_it_works/2000/8/heat_re
covery_ventilator/index.phtml

Jeff Wolfe