DC plugs and outlets [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sun Nov 21 21:48:47 PST 2004

Stock car lovers - get a FREE gift here!
http://click.topica.com/caacSnKbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Doug,
You're right about this in principle, and it's one of the main reasons that
the Code exists: to provide one national standard to which we all adhere, so
that work done last week will be familiar, traceable, and usable 30 years
and three property owners later. Still, Kurt was discussing an unusual
situation, so I am replying with real-world caution and real-world
encouragement.

Using your example, do you really think Joe Sixpak is gonna buy a 12 volt
appliance anyway? We're moving away from DC plug-in appliances as it is, and
have been since around 1988 when the first efficient, reliable inverters
became available. If someone buys a 12-volt appliance, it will
dollars-to-doughnuts come with either a cigarette lighter plug or a bare
pigtail. A 24-volt appliance? Not likely anyway. So it's already far enough
outside the Sixpak mainstream that it can't get plugged in incorrectly, and
will need custom modification to work at all.

Two other small points before I yell "rant off!" and go back to Wrenching...

Part of the problem with specialty plugs, like the "NEMA FSL-1-30P, rated
for 28-volt, 30-amp with a locking 3-prong design" that you mention, is that
even when you can find them, a male-female set can run upwards of $25 (I'm
guessing, not checking here). The basic 15A 240AC plug/receptacle combo
retails for $8-10.

The other is that Phil is right about the parallel ground path if the ground
terminal carries the common neutral; no way to provide a ground connection,
if you need it.

Rant (such as it is) off!
Allan @+nrgee