How About a Stock Tank Deicer? [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Sun Nov 14 19:53:41 PST 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacOlIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Roy,

Comment from message yesterday -- bubblers running 24/7 may not have
been a good idea. Icing over at night helps conserve heat until solar
heat can accumulate during the day. The de-icer works along with solar
heat (even small amount on cloudy day). If it runs all night, it will
result in greater heat loss during the night. That's my theory anyway.

Windy

> Hi William,
>
> No apologies needed....I understand your concern. But there are
> probably upwards of 15,000 open stock tanks in use on farms just in my
> little corner of NY State and they are usually located where kids
> can't get to 'em. I'm not sure how a farmer would water his or her
> livestock without them...they're an accepted part of farm life out
> here.
>
> And Dan....those freeze proof waterers you mention are in use on
> several farms...the Jugg brand is one of the most popular and they do
> work (most of the time). But....they require a minimum of 3 psi of
> water pressure to keep the thermosiphon water loop active and for some
> models, to fill the nose activated water cup. And this can be a
> problem on a remote off-grid water system where no heat is available
> for keeping a pressurizing bladder tank from freezing. We are
> currently researching a bladder tank which is installed down the 6"
> well casing below the freeze line and would work well with the battery
> based remote water systems we install....is there ever enough time to
> outsource all this neat stuff? I doubt it....
>
> Thanks to everyone for all the great input!
>
> --
> Roy Butler

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Sbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com