How About a Stock Tank Deicer? [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Sun Nov 14 06:17:27 PST 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacOlIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Hi William,

No apologies needed....I understand your concern. But there are probably
upwards of 15,000 open stock tanks in use on farms just in my little
corner of NY State and they are usually located where kids can't get to
'em. I'm not sure how a farmer would water his or her livestock without
them...they're an accepted part of farm life out here.

And Dan....those freeze proof waterers you mention are in use on several
farms...the Jugg brand is one of the most popular and they do work (most
of the time). But....they require a minimum of 3 psi of water pressure
to keep the thermosiphon water loop active and for some models, to fill
the nose activated water cup. And this can be a problem on a remote
off-grid water system where no heat is available for keeping a
pressurizing bladder tank from freezing. We are currently researching a
bladder tank which is installed down the 6" well casing below the freeze
line and would work well with the battery based remote water systems we
install....is there ever enough time to outsource all this neat stuff? I
doubt it....

Thanks to everyone for all the great input!

--
Roy Butler
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

William Miller wrote:

> I apologize if I was unclear. My concern is not with toddlers and
> animals falling into a hole, but rather with them falling into the
> water covering the hole and not being able to climb out. This is not
> as far fetched as it may seem. I have friends and clients with open
> wells and spring boxes and keeping the critters out is a job. Not
> infrequently the critters drown in there and spoil the water. With the
> kids, only the land owner can say for sure that there is no
> possibility one will never find their way to the side of this tank.
> It's a risk I would not take unless I was really remote. That's just
> my humble opinion. Google "child," "drown," "bucket." It is not an
> urban myth.

Free Thanksgiving recipes for you
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Qbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com