Battery Cycle Life Ratings [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sat Oct 30 08:53:55 PDT 2004

Like music? Get a CD Player here
http://click.topica.com/caacNowbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

What do people mean by the phrase "golf cart batteries". I often hear this and
am unsure if there is a specific battery designed for golf carts, or what?

On my off grid systems, I typically use a single series string (or at most, two
in parallel) of Trojan L-16 HC's or Dyno L-16's. Most systems are 24 volt, so
8.4 kWh to 16.8 kWh rated capacity. 48 volt systems would see double those kWh
numbers. I caution the customers to never discharge below 50% and most all
wisely keep things on the conservative side of ~20% max. DOD. Perhaps that is
why they typically see 10 to 12 years of service life.

I have only had one set fail sooner then 10 years. These were what I considered
"training batteries" for a very absent minded, non technical, female customer.
After totally draining the batteries (several times), and other abuses, they
failed early... after only 4 years. The replacement price helped her better
understand and motivate the necessity of paying attention to DOD. The
replacement set have 9 years on them and they are still going fine.

Todd

"Ezra Auerbach, DragonSun Consulting" wrote:

> My experience up here is pretty much consistent with Don's.  A few less
> years on the big ones, 13 years is my record on Yuasa batteries.  Up to 8
> years on golf cart (unsoug heros of small systems).

Claim your companion air fare now!
http://click.topica.com/caacNoxbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php