PV power tolerance [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 15:19:28 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacHOXbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

>Oh, a Scot would so disagree. I was in Glasgow for a wee bit in the
>Spring, and it's a fair ways north of the border. I almost went to
>Hugh Piggott's place

I am not totally impressed by grid connected PV in Scotland myself.
It makes  good back up for stand alone wind power but we only get
about 20 - 50% of the sun you guys get in the states.  Switzerland
seems to have a lot of sun too if I believe the map.

As for efficiency I do believe it could do with some scrutiny.  Grid
connected systems should be better for having MPPT inverters.  Surely
someone has figures for Sunny boy, Outback and brand X.  Evidence
suggests the SW is about 75% with battery losses  and that seems to
agree with the figures in the paper referred to.  But -  that is
after the temperature effects, PV voltage mismatch and wiring etc.

A lot of off-grid systems seem to lose a lot to the controller
(regulating).  If the system is sized to be reliable over a period of
time then it will be regulating a lot of the time under normal
conditions.  And if the owners are away at work in the city over a
day tor two, then the efficiency is effectively zero a that time.
--
Hugh
Scoraig Wind Electric

Amazing Diet Patch