EZ-fire alternatives? [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 13:43:20 PDT 2004

Is Unemployment on the rise? Answer and Win!
http://click.topica.com/caacHNhbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

HI all
Good advice,
but I think a larger than 4x4 heat sink is required.
One of my ill fated tries I used a 40 amp rectifier on
a 4x4 and still killed the rectifier from over heat,

A nice package is the GBPC3506A-ND International
Rectifier, 35 amp, 600 volt, 3 phase recifier in a
single package.  At about $3 each from Digikey
WWW.Digit\key.com   This package is attached directly
to the heat sink and you bring your three phase wires
to it and your DC wires come out of it.

My concern is it might overheat under high load.

Another approach which is what Bob-O is suggesting is
to use three single phase full wave rectifiers, such
as MP508WMS-ND a 50 amp, 800 volt from digikey at
about $7 each.  This uses 3 heat sinks and helps solve
the overheat problem.

To be safe you could use a higher voltage, but i would
not go below 400 volts.
Daryl

--- "Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection"
<econnect at snowcrest.net> wrote:

> Goeff,
> Get three 35A Full Wave bridge rectifiers. Heat
> sink the crap out of them as Hugh suggests. A
> 4"x4" sink per rectifier is not too much. Jumper
> (solder) across the two ac terminals (marked with
> a " ~ ") and connect that to one of your 3ø wires
> from the machine. If you are going to have
> shorting switch(es), the ac side is where to do
> it.
> Red wire out of the + terminal, white out of the
> - terminal. Parallel all the reds together and
> all the whites together.
> FUSE!
> Done.
> Todd's capacitor idea is good. You will use three
> on the ac input side. I've got a schematic of how
> running around here somewhere. I used 145-174 MFD
> 220vac jobs on my old Whisper 1000. That old,
> bearded, retired, wind god Mick Sagrillo turned
> me onto the capacitor thing, lest you think I've
> got more brain cells left than there really are.
> Good Luck, bob-O
>
> >>  I think I am going to tell them to start
> >>over.... but in the meanwhile... has anyone cobbed
> together diodes for this
> >>sort of application?

Is America Safe? Give your opinion on Homeland Security and enter
to win!
http://click.topica.com/caacHM9bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm