Alaska Ancorage Data [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sat Oct 2 10:03:47 PDT 2004

Save money and get healthy
http://click.topica.com/caacHMMbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Nope, no tracker. In the summer the PV's will pretty much lie flat on their
backs as the sun does its circular trek around the panels. In the winter they
will be vertical. The 42' pipe goes from the ground, up the South gable end side
of the house strapped all the way up. Approximately 6' extends above the roof
line. The customer will still have to top a few of the birch and spruce trees,
but this mount pretty much gets the PV's up above the tree canopy.

With 8 SQ80's on the rack (the most that will fit on a 4" TOP pipe mount) I
estimate production of an easy 5 kWh a day... in the summer. Winter? Easily ZERO
for several months as their southern horizon is geographically blocked, but that
is what the generator-s are for. In AK, off grid homes need back up generation
gear as they are so dependent on them.

For those of you that have not been to AK in the summer, imagine the sun coming
up in the North and traveling the sky in a high angle circle all day and
"setting" nearly right back where it came up... by "setting" I mean dipping
slightly below the horizon for several hours, bringing twilight, but no actual
darkness.

Todd

Darryl Thayer wrote:

> Hi Todd
> I am encluding the group because I think they would
> find it interesting.
> Did you mount a tracker on the 42'pole?  What kind of
> mount?
> did you look at the value of the solar radiation? Sun
> Hours per day? Tracked and non-tracked?  If so where
> did you get the data?
>
> Also what is the winter and annual winds like?  The
> rose and k-factor?

4 Free Low-Fat recipes
http://click.topica.com/caacHMTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com