Fw: off grid battery equalization [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 03:19:08 PDT 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacBBBbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Hi Hugh and others
I think that the FX does a different charging routine
than the SW.  I think the FX considers the duration of
the discharge below the battery resting voltage, to
determine the recharge timing cycle.  Where as if the
SW has an outage it simply does the complete recharge
cycle.  This would explain why the SW tended to cook
my batteries at the site where I have many short
outages and a few long outages.

Thanks Darryl

--- Hugh Piggott <hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk> wrote:
>SNIP<
> Here in the UK we can sometimes get secondhand
> storage cells which
> are huge and have a lifetime of 25-40 years.  The
> acid is much less
> strong but there is more electrolyte in each cell.
> The cell voltages
> (off load full charge) are always lower than other
> battery types and
> I believe this is a chemical phenomenon due to the
> low gravity.  I
> love these batteries but they are too expensive to
> buy new and are
> getting hard to find used.
>
> I have a friend who installs diesel sets and I
> helped him get up to
> speed on installing inverters.  He now tells me that
> he has installed
> some Outback FX inverters and they charge batteries
> "much better"
> than the SW. He can't say how they do this.  I would
> have thought
> that you just had to set the voltage parameters etc
> and you could
> charge any battery with an SW.  Battery charging
> seems to involve
> some element of voodoo beyond the numbers.  Does
> anyone agree with
> him that the FX charges batteries better, and if so
> what exactly do
> they mean by this?  I was surprised he liked the FX
> so much because
> the generator control features are relatively crude
> but he says most
> of the systems he works on the generators are run on
> timers.
>
> --
> Hugh
> Scoraig Wind Electric
> http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/

Is Unemployment on the rise? Answer and Win!
http://click.topica.com/caacERJbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com