Fw: off grid battery equalization [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 01:02:49 PDT 2004

Should School Prayer be mandatory? Give us your opinion and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvTbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Hi Hugh
I have noticed the better charging of the FX over the
SW also.  What I find is in locations where I have
many short outages and a few longer outages; if I set
the SW to recover from the longer discharges, it will
over charge the batteries, if I set to not overcharge
on the short outages I will not recover from the
longer discharges.  With the SW I could never get the
charging correct.

On the FX if I have a short outage the charger seems
to know some how and not cook the cells.  Yet on long
outages it some how knows to charge more.

Now everyone will know I am nuts, sorry.  But this is
my observation.  Maybe it is just a better battery
voltage resolution or maybe I am nuts.  But I had a
system with an SW that cooked the cells in less than
two years, now has FX and cells are doing fine after
two years.

maybe just a fluke.

Daryl

--- Hugh Piggott <hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk> wrote:
> Here in the UK we can sometimes get secondhand
> storage cells which
> are huge and have a lifetime of 25-40 years.  The
> acid is much less
> strong but there is more electrolyte in each cell.
> The cell voltages
> (off load full charge) are always lower than other
> battery types and
> I believe this is a chemical phenomenon due to the
> low gravity.  I
> love these batteries but they are too expensive to
> buy new and are
> getting hard to find used.
>
> I have a friend who installs diesel sets and I
> helped him get up to
> speed on installing inverters.  He now tells me that
> he has installed
> some Outback FX inverters and they charge batteries
> "much better"
> than the SW. He can't say how they do this.  I would
> have thought
> that you just had to set the voltage parameters etc
> and you could
> charge any battery with an SW.  Battery charging
> seems to involve
> some element of voodoo beyond the numbers.  Does
> anyone agree with
> him that the FX charges batteries better, and if so
> what exactly do
> they mean by this?  I was surprised he liked the FX
> so much because
> the generator control features are relatively crude
> but he says most
> of the systems he works on the generators are run on
> timers.
>
> --
> Hugh
> Scoraig Wind Electric
> http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/

Tired of annoying POP-Ups? Get a free Pop-up blocker here!
http://click.topica.com/caacERPbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com