PV Trackers [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Wed Sep 15 18:10:01 PDT 2004

Do you love your country? Get a Free USA T SHIRT click here to
receive your gift.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

A plug for Zomeworks.

NRG just installed 12 - #F168 trackers with 2160 watts of Sanyo panels on
each here in Vermont. I installed one last December 31st at my home to test
in our Vermont winters. It is right next to my 10kw Bergey wind turbine.

My experience has been 100% positive. They have handled the wind and
snow very well. One problem was that we should of Loctited all the bolts on
the shocks as they loosen up on two trackers and a few shocks came loose.
Only then did they not follow the sun correctly.

I convinced Zomeworks to build this large tracker and placed the first order
of 20 to get it designed and deliveried. In Vermont with fixed roof PV we
usually get 1 kwh AC per installed watt per year. The tracker at my house is
inline to produce 1.40 kwh/watt/year (to date it has produced 2600 kwh).
That's 40% over what my fixed roof mounts produce.

In Vermont, this tracker installation is selling for $15,000. insalled (about
$7.00/watt) and produces 40% more energy. We ran out of rebate money
but the next rebate program will probably have a performance part to it so
trackers may be the market.

David Blittersdorf

On 15 Sep 2004 at 18:28, Dana Orzel wrote:

> For a large array I use the Wattsun trackers the new bull gear setup as it
> is flat out bullet [and wind] proof. Granted I have replaced  more than one
> controller over the 12 years but, Array Technologies warranty program is about
> the best service and most concerned I have ever experienced from any company,
> period.  I have been installing Wattsun trackers from Seattle, WA to Costa Rica
> and many at high elevation locations in Colorado and am about to install one at
> our new demo-home for grid intertie w/battery backup in town to "show off the
> stuff how it works in town too". [Going to use the new Outback PS-2 for grid
> system]
>
> I have seen too many Zomeworks in cold, cloudy and windy weather pointed in
> totally the wrong direction. Our two clients that have Zomeworks now wish after
> 3 years that they had gone with a Wattsun ....... Nothing like a west facing
> array with 2' of fresh snow on it, wouldn't you rather be headed for the ski
> hill or the back country?
>
> I feel the best location for Zome Works in in hot sunny desert situations
> with out too much cloudy or windy weather.
>
> My .02  at 7,000 ft.el. in SW Colorado with fresh snow already on the
> peaks - Dana Orzel
>
> Responsible Technologies for Responsible People.
> Great Solar Works, Inc.
> dana at solarwork.com - 970.626.5253
> Ridgway, CO, USA
David Blittersdorf
NRG Systems, Inc.
110 Riggs Road
Hinesburg, VT 05461 USA
Tel: 802-482-2255
email: davidb at nrgsystems.com
Web:http://www.nrgsystems.com

Are Americans getting fat? Give us your opinion and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com