pre-engineered ground racks [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Thu Sep 9 17:23:27 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBEbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Hi William,

I have not seen and held a DWP Power Post, sounds like a good product,
I'm pleased you are happy.  DWP (Direct Water and Power) made custom
mounts for a city solar lighting project I did a while back,  Jeff
Randall was great to work with and the products were very high quality.

Fast Jacks when installed correctly are engineered to handle well over
1,200 pounds per mount, this is when the bolt pulls out not aluminum
breakage.  I pre-drill a pilot hole, tighten with a cordless impact then
check each bolt tightness by hand with a socket wrench.  Having one bolt
hole per mount not only saves time, it cuts the number of membrane
penetrations by 50%, further reducing the likelihood of roof leaks.  I
also believe there is less likelihood of splitting a rafter with only
one hole. For tilted racks I now prefer the beefier 1.5" posts, as
opposed to the original 3/4" posts.  Both sizes of the Fast Jacks allow
metal flashings to lay flush on the roof.

One manufacturer I miss very much is Level-Leg, who disappeared shortly
before PV became popular.  Level-Leg had telescopic aluminum legs, fully
adjustable, with hinges, etc.  I have probably installed well over 1,000
Level-Leg attachments over the years, each of which required only one
lag bolt, and has withstood the elements and wind.

This web page shows a commercial pool solar installation I did about 5
years ago with the smaller Fast-Jacks.  So far no leaks, no problems.
http://www.solarexpert.com/instroof3.html

This web link below shows an installation I did probably closer to ten
years ago, before Fast-Jacks were available.  The mounts were made by
Lee Engineering in Burbank (Lee died a few years ago).  They were made
by welding a 3/8" nut over the hole of a one inch washer, then flip the
washer over and weld onto 1" steel pipe, then weld onto a steel base
plate and powder coat.  These mounts allowed for two lag bolts and also
allowed metal flashing to sit flush on the roof deck and cost me about
$5 each when purchasing lots of 100.  From installing well over a
thousand of these mounts I became convinced that two bolts can at times
split a rafter and now I prefer to install one whenever possible.
http://www.solarexpert.com/instroof1.html

Graham

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBFbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ChildrenInternational

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com