desulfator and C40 problem [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Tue Sep 7 08:28:26 PDT 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacBBBbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

--On Monday, August 30, 2004 1:17 PM -0400 "Nicholas Ponzio, VSE" <wrench at vtsolar.com> wrote:

> A customer with a small PV system reported a sporadic problem with his C40.
> The charge controller will occasionally not wake up until he cycles power to
> the unit.
>
> Xantrex assures me that the pulsing DC signal from his battery desulfator is
> causing the C40 to freeze-up. It is a documented problem but they do not
> have a solution for it at this point.
>
> Has anyone else seen this and does anyone have an easy solution?

I have seen quite a few desulfators installed with the other control & switching gear which results in the pulses finding a shorter return path than through the battery.  Make sure the desulfator is connected directly to the battery (using a fuse of course) with the shortest leads possible.  The natural inductance of the battery and controller leads will usually take care of the issue.  In the odd case where this fails, a few turns of wire at the output of the controller will create a blocking
inductance and stop anything that does make it up the chain.  3 turns each on positive and negative #6 about 2-3" in diameter worked wonders on one installation.

.

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBEbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/OmahaSteaks

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm