Driving up the cost to install PV [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Fri Aug 27 19:50:45 PDT 2004

Save up to 80% on Inkjet & Toner Supplies. 100% Satisfaction
Guarantee. Free Shipping on orders over $49. www.inksoutlet.com
http://click.topica.com/caacAsfbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Inksoutlet

I’d like to get back to Bob-O’s point of driving up the costs of PV
installations.  What I’m about to say comes second hand and I am not a
direct witness, but believe the info is worth sharing because Bob-O
raises a serious issue for wrenches.

I’ve heard grumbling from PV installation contractors in California
regarding new rules and requirements by local building departments.
Contractors accustomed to using Pro-Solar Inc. Tile-Trac mounts on
existing tile roofs have recently been required to remove PV array’s,
have the roof under the tiles covers with comp shingles, in order to
pass final inspection. Apparently to prevent roof leaks. It is my
understanding that this new requirement is a result of inspector
training presented by a couple of engineer employees of New Mexico State
University.  I was also told that these UNM folks suggest that since the
area is being comp shingled, Uni-Rack Inc. flashable mounts would now be
preferable.

The curios part is that Uni-Rack paid a grant to UNM.  The following is
copied from UNM’s website:  Funded UNM Research Projects “Solar Rack
Design Software”, funded by UniRac, Inc., $10,806, 2/03-7/14/03. &
“Solar Rack Design Software – Phase II”, funded by UniRac, Inc.,
$10,841, 7/14/03 – 12/19/03.

Could it be that manufacturers are now funding "experts" to train
building inspectors to approve certain brands even though the
competitions product is suitable for the application?

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company

Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
http://click.topica.com/caacvglbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/AARP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com