Driving up the cost to install PV [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Mon Aug 30 17:53:16 PDT 2004

Save up to 80% on Inkjet & Toner Supplies. 100% Satisfaction
Guarantee. Free Shipping on orders over $49. www.inksoutlet.com
http://click.topica.com/caacAsfbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Inksoutlet

Hi Graham,
My no-flash roof jacks are designed for comp and tile roofs, we have
several thousand of them out there now. The basic design is a
shingle/fixture. It was developed 20+ years ago for thermal systems and
recently updated for PV. Many hundreds of those old roof jacks for comp
have been redone or removed this year and I haven't heard of any dryrot
from those installations. Aztec Solar in Sacramento did the rebuild of
the systems, I'll call him to see if there were any issues with the mounts.
The roofers, when contacted about warranty issues using these new jacks
said that they wanted any broken tiles replaced, but the roof jack
itself didn't change their warranty. I haven't bothered to get
independent engineering cetification, my development engineer is retired
and won't certify the jack,his opinion is that if the object will on the
face of it do the job, then there is no issue. I have installation doc's
on my website, but when the building department asks for a submittal, I
just hand them a jack to hang on the wall, and only San Jose asked for
the doc's. The plan checker in Oakland verified the pull out of the lag
screw, but didn't ask for certs on the jack.
If there is a demand (from the wrenches), I will get the roofing
manufacturers to endorse the jack, and finish up the enineering certs. I
can distribute through the usual solar distributors, but am inclined go
to Lord & Sons and regular electrical wholesale distributors because
that is where we get the Unistrut rails that go with the jack.
y'All let me know what your desires are.

cul deant

Graham Owen wrote:

>Wrenches,
>
>I need to make a clarification, the information I posted regarding
>university employee engineers making presentations to building
>inspectors in California was not directed at John Wiles.  John works at
>New Mexico State University (NMSU), not the University of New Mexico
>(UNM).  I deliberately did not post the name of the engineer mentioned
>on the UNM web site.  My message did unfortunately mention both schools.
>
>I have always believed mounts flashed into roofs are preferable, that’s
>why I like to get my leads from roofers.  That said, there are many
>thousands of fairly new homes all over California with tile roofs and a
>requirement to remove the roof for PV attachment unnecessarily drives up
>installer costs and increases lost sales.  Although being NABCEP
>Certified, this year I have refocused my activities away from PV and
>redirected towards solar heating the tens of thousands of swimming pools
>in the San Fernando Valley.  No stress, subsidy uncertainties and
>certainly much less expensive. I will not be happy if out of state PV
>experts convince my local inspectors to have all tile roofs removed to
>install solar panels.  I know this has been pissing off PV installers in
>other areas of California.

Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
http://click.topica.com/caacvglbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/AARP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com