Flexible Cables: Important Safety Issue [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 30 10:18:54 PDT 2004

Save up to 80% on Inkjet & Toner Supplies. 100% Satisfaction
Guarantee. Free Shipping on orders over $49. www.inksoutlet.com
http://click.topica.com/caacAsfbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Inksoutlet

On the two dozen or so battery-ups installations I've done so far
I don't think an inspector has ever given a second thought to the
type of battery cable we've used, let alone the sizing. We almost
always use the orange-jacket Carol Super Vutron welding cable
which is very flexible, soft jacketed, UL listed-600 volts, easy to
handle, cost effective... and not JW approved. Using THHN in
battery cabinets would be problematic...and I don't think that
USE is really very much better. Remember that battery service
(water, testing) and replacement require access---shouldn't the
wire type be appropriate for that?

JW brings up some valid concerns with the terminations on
flexible cable, but using stiff cable also creates many problems.
Moreover, every RE system I've ever seen has significantly
oversized wiring anyway (usually sized for Vdrop vs thermal).

On this issue of wire type... it's good to remember that code is
interpreted--and enforced--at the local level. If you have a good
argument for a particular method, its often (usually?) possible
to get buy-in with the building officials.

/wk

http://click.topica.com/caacvglbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/AARP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm