Flexible Cables: Important Safety Issue [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Aug 26 09:20:27 PDT 2004

Save up to 80% on Inkjet & Toner Supplies. 100% Satisfaction
Guarantee. Free Shipping on orders over $49. www.inksoutlet.com
http://click.topica.com/caacAsfbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Inksoutlet

>Yet I often walk away from a job thinking that maybe I should have added
>solder to the lug, to make it a permanent connection.
>

>Kurt Nelson

Just so Ya'll know, I cut open one of those spendy Trace inverter cables
that is totally UL etc.. It is only crimped. After that I have never given
a second thought about soldering again. Don't lose sleep Kurt.
Also, I actually don't like the very fine stranded cables: welding cable,
Cobra, etc. Those little hairs going everywhere, and the crimps always look
like they're crushing down too far. On the coarse side, obviously THHN is
too stiff.
I use (oh my god don't tell JW) I use SAE rated "Battery" cable from DC
wire. Its just the right combo of flex and coarse enough to work well in
the screw type lugs. Inspectors here have never questioned it. Who knows
battery cable better than the Society of Automotive Engineers?  JW, NEC,
UL, I don't think so.  And to get down to actual strand count, this SAE
stuff is 133 strands for 2/0, 418 strands for 4/0. Just about perfect IMHO.
BTW, when I order industrial 2 volt batteries, they come with this same
cable and the inspector can't argue with the manufacturer. Oh, but none of
the batteries are UL listed, so we're all screwed if the inspector wants to
get tough anyway.

Ray

Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
http://click.topica.com/caacvglbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/AARP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com