Posting etiquette [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Aug 27 16:10:56 PDT 2004

Save up to 80% on Inkjet & Toner Supplies. 100% Satisfaction
Guarantee. Free Shipping on orders over $49. www.inksoutlet.com
http://click.topica.com/caacAsfbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Inksoutlet

  Hi Marco,

  Your comments on civil behavior "among wrenches" is well made.

  However - there are a few things at play here that you might not fully
grok. First, J. Wiles is not, strictly speaking, a "wrench". As you may have
read, he is an employee of a governing, or rather a rule creating
organization. So you can forget the civility amongst wrenches problem. Mr.
Wiles is a highly influential person who's actions, capricious or not, have
a direct impact on what we do and how we do it.

  Considering the statement above, critisizing a "government" official is
actually allowed under the constitution - even if you might not be entirely
accurate. Consider the Swift Boat comment so well put by Bob-O.

  Second, when one has been laboring away in this field for as long as
(ahem) many of us have, you very naturally arrive at certain conclusions
about the way things have developed over time and how they got that way. For
many of us these changes have not always seemed to be for the better or even
made sense, though many others actually have been very positive.

  The state of our field now is a result of many years of trial and error
added to with layers of  rules, regulations, market forces and hype. I
probably speak for another bunch of wrenches when I say that what Bob-O said
(so well!) is very accurate from this perspective, and even overdue. J.Wiles
is NOT (always) an infallable fount of knowledge and it is our duty as solar
proffessionals to make sure that the wrong ideas are prevented from
becomming the law; there are already plenty of dumb laws on the books.

  I'm sure that Mr. Wiles understands that dealing with this group is rather
like herding cats and that cats will sometimes scratch. I believe that it
goes with his territory.

  Third, If you re-read Michael's posting you will no doubt discover that he
was not against the subject of the thread at all. He was referring to the
habit of replying to posts that include all the preceding and unneccessary
advertising, etc., which is exactly what you did when you sent your message.
Really. By the way, I'm not trying to critisize you, merely attempting to
shine the light in a way that allows you to see another point of view.

  Matt T

  "festina lente"