San Francisco Solar Shindig [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Mon Aug 23 16:05:25 PDT 2004

Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
http://click.topica.com/caacvglbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/AARP

Allan S asked:

>Is this an especially good opportunity to get the real skinny on
>practical developments in our industry, or is it another event for the
>same corporate and agency suits to talk at each other?  Opinions,
>please.

Opinions R Wrenches!  Or is it the other way around?  Hey, like the other,
we've all got one!

Allan, you bring up a super-salient point about the true nature of most
"Industry Conferences" at large... Not just in this industry.  "The
information they sent looks pretty good."  It's supposed to!  How could they
get you to come if it didn't!   Your just asking the question tells me that
you really want to know if it's really for Wrenches and will it be worth our
time.  (For the record, the SF Shindig does have a mighty tasty lineup
listed... Even to this die-hard cynic!  I decided not to attend the
conference portion even though it's only 3 miles from my "other" house.
Open offer to Out Of Town Wrenches who will be going, by the way: Drop me a
line offlist.  Might be able to save at least a couple of ya some bucks on
lodging, etc.)

The "suits talking at each other" is indeed a significant element of these
things.  Read the names.  How many of them won't be wearing a tie or a dress
when they're giving their presentation?  Do you think this is because they
think "Wrenches are so impressed by ties and dresses"?  Somehow I don't
believe it is!  Hmmmmm.

Another thing I encourage is noting the term "invited" next to some of the
names... Think about "who" most of those names are. Why are they invited?
Having been "on the inside" of some of the conversations surrounding putting
some of these things together, the ultimate decision factor in "whether or
not the invited actually show up" is this: They ask "Who else is coming" and
then call them up personally and find out if they are actually going to show
up.  Their decisions are literally "politically inter-dependent".  I've been
right there several times when the "news comes in that So&So1 won't be
coming because So&So2 isn't".  That's the message from the ballsy ones...
Those who openly have their hand out for a "contribution" or "back-rub" in
one form or another.  More often, it's their secretary that makes the call
which goes like this: "I'm terribly sorry, but a conflicting / overlooked /
last-minute / family emergency / fill in the blank "whatever" will prevent
So&So1 from being able to attend your event.  He wishes to extend his
sincere apologies and looks forward to working with you in the future."
This is code for: "I don't see a direct political advantage for myself
here".  If we're truly honest about it, there is actually a certain degree
of political risk associated with any "public appearance or endorsement" for
many of these individuals.  They just might be sticking their political
necks out by getting "labelled" as supportive of "us", and worse yet, if a
political "other side of the fence" persona is invited, too, then their egos
get hurt.  Hey, it's a rough business!  It's funny watching the faces drop
and the ensuing scurrying about asking "Now what do we do?" if you ask me!
LOL  "Gee, it sounded like a good idea..."

For instance: Anybody wanna bet if Governor McGreevey (New Jersey) will show
up at the SF Shindig at this point?  I'll bet he won't have much better to
do about mid-October... I'm pretty sure he'll be looking forward to talking
about Solar by then since the Sun is pretty much shining up his... Never
mind... about now!  Let's say he does come... Now count the number of other
"Invitees" who can politically afford to show up at the same event!  Gee,
isn't this kinda like "just before a big election"?  Ok, side bet:  Do you
think the Conference Promoters have called Mr. McGreevey to dis-invite him
yet?  Hmmm.  I sure wish I could listen in on all the phone calls from
"Invitees" asking, "Is he gonna be there?"  Triple side bet: Do you think
the Solarnator's people were the first to call and ask the question?  Do
ya'll see how it really works yet?

What does any of this have to do with Wrenches?  Read on...

While there is arguably some proportional value in having these
"influential" people participate in these venues from an "industry exposure"
& media perspective, I regard most of them to be little more than glorified
"Dog & Pony Parades" and "Pep Rallies" where Policy Wonks, Burons, and those
who Wannabe (whose tabs are being picked up by the constituency they serve)
get paid to take a few days off work,  get a "Canvas Conference Tote Bag" to
fill up with lots of brochures and stuff, go out to fancy dinners, stay at
nice hotels, collect a bunch of business cards, maybe rub shoulders with
somebody "important", actually maybe "touch" a module or inverter for the
first time, see and meet people they haven't seen and met since the "last
one of these we went to", and generally get to "feel important".  They say
things in the halls like, "Golly, Gee Whiz.  This is a really good
conference.  I didn't know that X was like this or Y had that or Z did the
other.  Wasn't that a nice dinner last nite?  The fish was undercooked, but
the mousse was really yummy and the décor was to die for!  How many did we
drink, anyway?  I think I'm gonna skip one of the sessions and go up to the
room for a nap."  (Not made up. Heard all of this stuff with my own ears
over the years.  Over & over!)  Did I mention that "somebody else" is
picking up their tab???

"Rah, Rah, Rah!  Pep Rally's over.  Thank you for coming. Now go back to
what you were doing."

The value of these conferences to most Wrenches, the guys out there in the
trenches, is marginal to questionable in my opinion.  If we are going there
expecting "tech stuff", little is to be gained in the "sessions" that we
aren't already paying attention to.  I say, if that's what you're looking
for, pay for the travel and go to the free vendor exhibits.  Spend your time
asking your questions face to face.  That's where you'll see any of the "new
stuff" and meet whatever Wrenches are there anyway!  If you're interested in
attending one of the Manufacturer Workshops, it's a Catch 22.  You can
attend as long as you pay for conference admission and pay the additional
fee for the workshop.  (Let's say you want to attend a $50 workshop.  If
you're a member and only pay for one day of attendance, it will cost $250.
If you're not a member, it will cost you $350.  Either way, while you're in
that workshop, you won't be able to attend any of the other "sessions" that
might have been interesting to you.)

If we are into hearing snippets of "policy stuff" and "what we think the
experience has been so far and how we think it should go next time we try
something", then we might be good candidates for attending the sessions.
Just remember this: Most of "what they show and tell you" is severely edited
out of necessity and even a truly honest & respectable presenter or session
chair only has so much time and will present "the very short version" (There
are several quality folks who represent this profile listed as scheduled for
this conference, by the way).  To a large degree, many but not all of the
various experts exist in somewhat of a vaccum when it comes to actually
"being out there doing it" anyway.  The majority of attendees  believe "it's
the whole story".  Which, due to "where they work", is a very significant &
real ingredient of why we see so much short-sighted policy out there!!!!
They simply don't have "a whole clue" most of the time!  How could they?
"This is what the 'Expert' said... See, it's right here in my handout from
the conference...."

This is the best-case... When the presenter is open, honest, and really has
something of value to share.  It is US who are left to clean up any messes
created no matter what.  It is something that, in my opinion, really calls
into question whether or not these conferences should be held at all!
Especially in an industry such as ours where so much "histerical expertism"
has so much of a Good Old Boys flavor to it on a policy level!  Who do you
think gets to "blow in their ear"?  Anything that happens in the "near-term"
following and "because of" these conferences is sure to be more of the
same... <SNIP!!!!>

As a Wrench, we know that there is "far more to the issue", and are left
with unanswered questions and must "read between the lines"... You are on
your own to try and follow up after the conference... I did say "try"...
Consider all of what you hear during "sessions" with a grain of salt, is my
recommendation.  Especially if it has anything to do with a fairgrounds
project!  <SNIP!!!!> Throw in a scoop of Political Butts To Cover (Not found
in the Health Foods Section) and a dash of Personal Agenda and you end up
with an unknown stew!  I actually like this "policy stuff" personally, but
can't justify the $ & time cost under "entertainment" according to my
bookkeeper!

If we are going there because we want to get out of the house or away from
"the old lady" for a couple of days, that might be reason enough to go on
principle alone!

I believe that vendors perhaps gain from the exposure to some extent, even
though it is somewhat of a defacto "arm-twist" because they have to keep
their brand "out there".  If they are "new", then they have to invest in
these things or else they might not ever get a sale.  If they are local
Installers or Service Providers, then they might pick up some business from
the "walk-through's".  In the current climate of very questionable future
incentives and policy stuff, it's really a crap shoot for them from my point
of view.  Ask our trusted Manufacturer Wrenches for an honest 02 on the
subject...

The real winners in these things are the Conference Promoters and the hotels
that host them.  The "Conference Industry" is huge!  Why do you think so
many cities build multi-million dollar "Convention Centers" and have
"Visitors & Conventions Bureaus"?  It's so they can bill themselves as a
"Conference Capitol" and compete for the tax revenues that are generated
from this industry.  The municipalities invest big bucks to subsidize this
business.  It's sad but true: The nice waiters & waitresses in the fancy
tuxedos don't make very much money.  It's the Hotels & Promoters & Rental
Car & Airlines & Marketing & Promoter types that do!  Plain & simple.  Ask
yourself this: Why do they put "other things to do while you're here" in the
brochures?  Do you think this is directed at Wrenches?

Consider some things from the SF Shindig Brochure in the "San Francisco Fun"
section, from a Wrench perspective:

Taste some of the world's best wines on a Napa and Sonoma Valley tour (Is
this part of the Solar Wineries Tour portion of the Conference?  Are drink
tickets included with Conference Admission?  If so, what is the valuation of
those tickets?  We really should deduct that value from any of the Admission
Fees paid by "Public Agencies", don't ya think?  Or, better yet, it should
be mandatory that they distribute their tickets to Wrenches!  How many
Wrenches drink wine anyway?  Aren't there any breweries nearby?)

Spend an afternoon touring Alcatraz (You can see it right from your room at
the Conference Hotel... As long as you don't reserve one of the "Conference
Special Rooms", in which case you get the "less than spectacular view from
your room".  Hey, aren't you supposed to be at the Conference during the
afternoon, anyway?  Now I know where those State Workers disappear to!)

Eat excellent seafood at Fisherman's Wharf (Right there by the hotel.  No
real argument there, if you can afford it.  For Wrench-Budgets, walk down
the Wharf a ways... Pier 39 isn't all there is to choose from and the deals
get better!  Sidewalk and patio seafood is generally a better deal and just
as fun as a "sit-down".  If you get to the Denny's, use the restroom but
nothing else.  A Grand Slam costs $12 there.  It might even cost a coin to
use the commode, come to think of it.  Afterward, return in the direction of
the barking seals and turn left...)

Ride the cable cars to Chinatown (Yee Haw!  Now what?)

Take a stroll down Lombard Street (Make sure you don't think you're going to
"stroll" up Lombard Street!  Have a cab take you to the top of the hill.
After you're done strolling "down", keep strolling into North Beach!
Caution: Do NOT attempt strolling down Lombard after your visit to North
Beach unless you are very adventurous!)

Re-Live the 60's in Haight Ashbury (Finally!  Something worth doing that
doesn't cost an arm and a leg if you take the Muni.  Try your hand at
panhandling!  It might prove to be a better income than Solar and you're
sure to make lots of new friends.  If you're too young to "Re-Live" the
60's, consider it a good, cheap, living-museum adventure.  Be careful not to
get lost there, 'cause you just might like it too much and miss your
planeride home.  If you're too old to remember or just trying to forget the
60's in general, get off the bus in North Beach.  The food will be more to
your liking and you can walk off the dinner by "strolling up Lombard
Street".  Arrange for a cab to meet you about 1/2 a block from your starting
point.)

Having attended numerous conferences in several unrelated industries over
the years leads me to these observations and perspectives.  I will stop
short of calling them conclusions, because I still look forward to a day
when truly productive, useful, work actually gets done in the course of
these things so relevant & sustainable things happen afterward... For all
our sakes!

I would support solid "Technical Forum Conferences" where we got to really
sink our teeth into things, but unfortunately, us little guys can't afford
to throw around the big bucks to justify putting them together.  Heck, it's
a big enough thing just trying to justify taking the time away from work!

I hate to sound so cynical and readily admit that some of what I've tossed
out is definitely in the "generalizations realm".  I absolutely don't want
to denigrate or discourage the truly respected participants (some from this
list) who put forth their honest efforts in the name of "greater good",
either.  I don't paint them with the "same brush", personally or
professionally.  Just sharing some "has anybody thought about this"
perspective... I sincerely hope they know "who they are in my book" and
don't take the generalities personally.

Nevertheless, I hope at least some of this merits the time and consideration
for reading and contemplation by all.  Thanks for asking an
all-too-often-unasked question, Allan.  I say, "Keep Wrenching because there
are a whole lot of things that sure need fixing at this point!"

Two Cents and Palm Tree Wishes to All!

Solar Janitor

RE-GROW YOUR HAIR STARTING NOW.....Click here for more info!
http://click.topica.com/caacxydbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Medical Hair Restoration

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com