Satellite Internet query [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works telliot at wagonmaker.com
Sun Aug 22 13:29:31 PDT 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacvgtbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Allen,

I've used both the dual modem DirecWay and the DW6000 Direcway ethernet
modem.  Both are power sippers but I believe that the DW6000 is more
efficient.  Unlike Starband, Direcway does not restrict the number of
computers you can hang off your network (said network connected to the
modem).  Our school runs its entire computer network through their DW6000.
The bottleneck is, of course, the narrow uplink bandwidth which is why no
satellite system will allow file sharing, it will simply choke to death.
Plus there are what are called FAP limits (fair access policy) to restrict
the downloading of more than 60MB of data before the connection is slowed
down.  That is to keep customers from hogging what is a finite amount of
bandwidth available on the satellite.

I'd recommend the Direcway, they even now have a system that offers more
uplink bandwidth to allow multiple computers to access the connection
without unduly slowing it down.  Some in our area and working on ways to
create small neighborhood nets using this connection and splitting the cost,
making it cheaper than dialup.

Tom