Grid-Tie Inverters with Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Aug 18 11:35:37 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgpbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

J.R. Yago wrote:
> I think it all depends on what your client wants and is willing to pay
> for.  However, local utility rates and rebate programs will definitely
> have an affect on this battery or no battery decision.
>
> As long as we make it very clear that a grid tied system without a
> battery provides absolutely no back-up power, they can decide if the
> added battery and inverter cost is worth it or not.  With electricity in
> Virginia selling for about 8 cents/kWh and no state rebate program,
> selling back to the grid here is more of a "bonus" for those on the grid
> who are buying or already own a pv system primarily intended for
> emergency back-up.

Jeff makes a very good point here - not all of the PV market is like
California... before the rebate program was in effect - over 90% of the
systems being installed in CA where grid-tie with battery.  Of course,
there weren't SunnyBoys yet - but I think it still makes a good point
that when people spend their own hard earned money they make different
decisions.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com