Data Acquisition [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Sun Aug 15 10:10:55 PDT 2004

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacvgubz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

William,

Are you looking for a data collection system that will log data on its own
for some period of time, while the computer is not connected or turned on,
or are you allowing for the computer to be running all the time that you're
collecting data?  There's a big difference in how you approach the data
collection hardware involved.

Also, you mention not having a "standard card slot".  Do you mean that you
don't even have one or two small "PC Card" slots (also known as PCMCIA
slots) somewhere on the front or sides of the machine?  I've seen very few
laptop computers in the last 8-9 years or so that don't have at least one.

Regards,
John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT
www.re-solar.com

At 02:31 PM 8/13/04 -0700, you wrote:

>'Steamed Colleagues:
>
>I've had the need several times lately to record voltage and other
>parameters so I can analyze how various systems are performing in my
>absence.  I'd like to know if any of you use any computer based data
>acquisition software.
>
>It seems to me that a notebook computer might be the best vehicle for
>this, primarily due to portability of the equipment.  I have an old
>notebook with a 486 running Win95.  This means the hardware would not have
>a standard card slot, but rather use a printer or serial port.  Any
>suggestions are appreciated.
>
>William Miller

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgpbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/OmahaSteaks

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm