Selling tactic for MPPT [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Aug 9 22:33:12 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgpbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Friends:

I'm not sure where this thread is going, but please allow me to elaborate
on a few points:

1. I tried to convince myself and the collective group that QO breakers are
OK for 48 V nominal systems.  I even have Square D factory certification
indicating approval for use at 125VDC.  As succinctly put by some member
here, however, UL trumps the factory every time.  If the job is not going
to be inspected, I might use these again.  There are, however, several
excellent combiners available now, so the need is no longer as great to use
standard electrical components.

Also, the QO breakers are listed for DC use in certain load centers, those
with copper buss bars, IIR.   I hope some year Square D will UL test QO
breakers at 125VDC for UL approval.

2. I'm working on an off-grid install I didn't get the first time
around.  The original builders apparently used their electrician, and
he/she trashed the job pretty good.  Among other problems, the voltage drop
from the array calculates out at 8%.   The system was using a C-40 charge
controller. The system is a nominal 24 volts.  With the 8% drop, it seems
unlikely there was ever enough voltage headroom at current to provide any
charging.

I installed a Blue Sky 3048 at the battery end of the feed and changed the
array voltage to a nominal 48.  Right away, this changed calculated drop to
2% at 48 VDC.  Figuring the array runs at more like 66 VDC, the numbers are
even better.  This, in my opinion, is an excellent use of MPPT, especially
with a controller that allows 48 in and 24 out.

(This also underscores the point that being an electrician does not
automatically qualify you to install RE.)

William Miller

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacvgubz8Qcsbz9JC9f/411Web

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com