Powering Rooftop Equipment with Rooftop Generation [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Tue Jul 27 23:22:59 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgjbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Mark,

Need to make sure all the safeties are tied into the fan circuit after
the inverter. Typically, on anything larger than about 2000 cfm (code
varies) the fan needs to shut down on temp and smoke, and depending upon
climate, may want to shut down on freeze protection and others. So these
will all need to tied in after the A/B drive, not before it as they
probably are now.

So far as avoiding a hole, not a big deal. They probably bring the
conduit up through the curb (violating the ductwork, etc.), and do not
touch the roof already.

I can see where you probably would need a disconnecting means at some
location off the roof. A shunt trip would probably be acceptable in most
jurisdictions.

The A/B drives may also have a problem with the speed of change of the
DC source. Yes, I know the grid is back there, instantly. But my time
with an ABB drive/converted to an inverter/Charge controller taught me
that the PV DC side changes really fast, and that this throws off
typical modern VFD type equipment. Not saying it's a problem, but I'd
watch for it pretty closely.

Also need to look at what the minimum power draw is (could be about 1/12
of full, if it's a good variable speed system), and compare this to PV
input rating.

Good luck, sounds like fun.

Jeff
Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer(tm)
Global Resource Options, LLP, Solar  Wind  Energy Solutions
A Woman-Owned Limited Liability Partnership
601 Old River Road, Suite 3, White River Junction, VT 05001-9030
Saratoga Technology + Energy Park, 10 Hermes Drive, Malta, NY 12020
800-374-4494 x107 Toll Free     802-295-4415 x107 Phone
802-295-4417 Fax
Jeff at GlobalResourceOptions.com,   www.GlobalResourceOptions.com