AC or DC Shock: Which is worse? OUCH! [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Geddes b.geddes at clear.net.nz
Mon Jul 26 02:25:12 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgjbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

>In the early days of the electric chair, Edison called
>AC the killer, because the AC nature effects the
>heart.  The Nazi's killed with both and found that
>women died easier than men, and AC 50 Hz was a factor
>of at least 3 lower current to cause death.
>LD 50 for women was 40 milliamps I believe.

Edison had a point to prove and used whatever publicity he could.  I would
not hold his ascertations in high regard as to the real world.  ANY
electricity will affect muscles.  Remeber the frog experiments at school?
DC causes a muscle to contract AND STAY CONTRACTED UNTIL THE VOLTAGE IS
REMOVED.  AC cause muscles to spasm.

>I got hold of 120 AC once and passed out unable to
>reliese my grip.  I only survived by collasping, and
>falling to the ground forcing my release. I also got
>bit from about 500 volts DC on a solar array hurt
>like, but I only touched did not grab.  Don't try
>this.

Having had repeated shocks from 230VAC 50Hz over my younger and foolish
years I can tesitfy it has more to do with skin resistance and environmental
factors (dampness) than such voltage based arguments would lead you to
believe.  I have a crazy brother that survived 11kV 50Hz blasts on two
occasions.  I was not game to try and duplicate that effort.

Here in NZ our electrical regs kick in at 32VAC and 115VDC and this reflects
the risk each poses.  What conclusion does that draw?  But then we are not
the USA so it may not count :-)

Bruce Geddes
PowerOn

Amazing Diet Patch