Solar near Airports [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Sat Jul 17 23:50:16 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgjbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Hi y'All,
    At least 2 backup systems installed for landing lights at airports
in Japan have been shut down this summer because of radio interference.
    Note the Inverver may be FCC compliant, but the assembly of
Inverter, AC and DC wiring and module array may still present a
significant radio interference problem.     Other systems in Southern
California were interfering with ham radio stations more than half a
mile away from the residential PV systems.
    The mitigation recommendation is to use FCC compliant inverters,
with metallic raceways (EMT) as an RF shield from the inverter to the
array, and be very careful to ground branch, not ground loop the
metallic RF shielding.

cul  deant

Dan Rice wrote:

>Ray,
>    This same concern came up a while back -I copied and pasted some of the
>traffic below. Of course, the comments are in reverse chronological order. A
>couple of other issues of interest are brought up, too. I think the argument
>that solar modules/collectors are designed to absorb light, and generally
>have anti-reflective surfaces, should carry some credence. Hey, if "solar"
>Taos can't get around this...
>
>Dan Rice
>Abundant Sun, LLC.
>Escalante, UT
>
>Wrenches:
>
>The whole reflected light issue is a red herring.
>Just fly into LAX and look at the seas of car windows out there in the
>parking lots.
>Or the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas, etc., etc., etc.
>This has come up before and was shot down every time.
>
>Unfortunately, there is a real issue here that has not been discussed.
>The large inverters out there being considered for such projects
>typically do not meet the FCC requirements for radiated or conducted
>emissions.  These babies are radio stations radiating across a wide
>spectrum of frequencies. This is most certainly a violation of Federal
>requirements and could very well represent a real "hazard to aerial
>navigation".  The guy who designed these inverters is a friend of mine,
>a pilot, and he agrees.
>
>The US industry has ignored FCC part 15 to date choosing instead to
>pretend it does not apply to inverters.  This is incorrect and a
>dangerous path to choose.  IMHO, installation of one of these systems in
>close proximity to an airport demonstrates some pretty questionable
>judgment.  If your project if found to be out of compliance the FCC can
>require you to cease operation until you can demonstrate that the
>product is in compliance.  This is not easy and will be expensive and
>time consuming at best.  At worst there could be an incident for which
>you will be found liable. Then there are the difficulties sleeping at
>night.
>
>If you have any questions or if I may be of any further assistance,
>please do not hesitate to contact me.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>John Berdner
>
>SMA America, Inc.
>12438-C Loma Rica Road
>Grass Valley, CA  95945
>530.273.4595 - Tel
>530.274.7271 - Fax

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgdbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/411Web

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com