romex in met-metered installations [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Jun 1 18:25:47 PDT 2004

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ExpertCity

Kirk,

There is no code prohibition to using NM-B inside the building as you
suggest. However, in the 2002 NEC there needs to be a disconnect, either
outside in a readily accessible location or at the nearest point after
entering the building. This causes some real problems as has been discussed
in previous posts.

The other problem with NM is that of identifying it within the building. It
must be clearly tagged and labelled to reduce the chance that an electrician
would choose to cut into the PV cable to make a splice, thinking it to be a
standard branch circuit.

In the 2005 NEC, the disconnect requirement will be waived for wiring that
is in metal raceway. This suggests that armoured cable (type MC) is the most
cost effective method of running small PV conductors through a house.

Bill.