Module shortage rumors [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Mon May 10 21:31:29 PDT 2004

Cancel your low-carb diet. Lose weight. Choose your own
foods. Learn more about our program at:
http://click.topica.com/caaccM7bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Dr. Smith

Allan,

It so happens that I had to deal with this very subject today. I had an
enquiry from Europe about a large number of PV modules, about 300 kW of
them. Thinking I had hit the Mother Lode I had the opportunity to speak
not only to my main suppliers, but to a couple manufacturers as well.

In a nutshell, and I quote Shell Solar in Camarillo: We are sending 80%
of our large modules to Germany, there aren't enough to sell here, even
for our large customers.
BP has a severe shortage, sending almost all their production of large
modules to Germany as well, as do all the majors in the US. To add to
the fun Italy recently began a huge subsidy program of their own, which
will meet or perhaps exceed the demands from Germany.

Since the Europeans are ready and willing to pay a premium for product
that we Americans are not, they will get the good stuff and we get the
rest. Or is this society mature enough to pay what this incredible
technology is actually worth?

The question is: When will the Federal government wake the hell up and
bring this country on board with the rest of the world??? The feds
should be offering REAL subsidies and REAL leadership on this subject
instead of leaving it all up to the states to create individual programs
with no underlying consistency. Instead, we get to pay for the "war on
Terra" (to quote the xenophobe in charge). Forgive me. This should piss
you off as much as it does me.
Unless something is done to give us equal footing in buying modules this
whole business could definitely go the way of too many good things, and
all too soon.
An irritated Matt T