PV buydown policy request [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 17:48:18 PDT 2004

Need to find the right school to fit your needs
CollegeInformation.info has already found it. Get educated
on your future – degrees, financial aid and more!
http://click.topica.com/caab8Lbbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ College Info

I think the benefits of a credit scheme based on credits are clear,
but there are still some major issues.

1) I think the idea of developing a whole new inspection process is
relatively futile. A lot of expensive, duplicative effort that may not even
yield significant quality benefits in the end.

2) If the rebate funds are redirected from the capacity to production,
then it leaves a big initial capital outlay someone has provide. If you
then have to create a subsidized loan program, then new problems
are created.

3) Production credits provide an incentive for quality, but certainly do
not provide assurance.

4) With a loan program, who provides the surety?..... most likely the
customer (and the house). If the system fails to perform, the customer
will find out about it 1, 2, or more years down the road. Their recourse
from the contractor, years later, may not be assured. The contractor
may be out of business. Meanwhile, the customer is stuck making
payments for maybe decades on a system that could be faulty,
maybe overpriced, and maybe the performance predictions were
totally unrealistic from the start.

5) Who's responsible in the event of defaults on the [already
subsidized] solar loan program? Now we have more problems...

All in all, the simplicity of a relatively modest initial rebate
program (eg, CEC) coupled with feed-in provisions that are
favorable (eg, SCE or PG&E net metering especially TOU)
has a lot of appeal to me. Remember that our current retail
NEM arrangements already represent a significant feed-in
subsidy (solar generation doesn't have to cover bear the
cost of maintaining the transmission/distribution system,
grid stability, capacity reserves, and so on...).

/wk

http://click.topica.com/caab6aBbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ UOP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm