S-5 clamps [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Wed Apr 28 08:20:59 PDT 2004

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caab6aubz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ ExpertCity

Marco / Wrenches:

On our system we used one S-5 every 4 feet but we also staggered them.

- The feet from the left hand rail on seam 1,3,5,7,9,...
- The feet from the right hand rail on seam 2,4,6,8,10,...

This way the loads are distributed more evenly over the roof.
We ended up adding a few extras on the end of the rails if the
"overhang" from the last foot was more than 2 feet.  This was probably
not really necessary but it made everything seem more stable.

Also, you need to torque them really well and you can not rely on a
cordless drill (Dewalt 18 Vdc) to get enough torque.  The torque was too
inconsistent as the battery voltage changed so we ended up having to
finish all of them off with a torque wrench.
A cordless impact driver might work but we did not have one so getting
the torque right took a long time.
The long time part is relative though and even with this "extra step"
the structure install went very fast.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

>>> marco at pvthawaii.com 4/20/2004 12:13:23 PM >>>

For those of you who have used S-5 clamps for putting up mounting
hardware
on standing seam metal roofs, how many clamps do you use over the
length of,
say, an 11' rail? The minimum number ought to be at least three, but
I've
heard that five or more is, as we say here in Hawai'i, mo' bettah. But
those #*&%@ clamps are expensive...

thanks,
marco

Marco Mangelsdorf
President
ProVision Technologies, Inc.
69 Railroad Avenue, Suite A-7
Hilo, Hawaii 96720 USA
(808) 969-3281, fax 934-7462
www.provisiontechnologies.com

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
http://click.topica.com/caab8K7bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ College Info

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com