Hydro and PV diversion [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Apr 14 18:16:58 PDT 2004

$6.95 .com Domain Name Sale!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!
http://click.topica.com/caab8Lhbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ GoDaddy

Windstream Solar-Gary wrote:
> 1) Whether the switching of this much current will pull down the modest
> battery bank so fast that we'll cycle really fast (even with
> hysteresis). Would it be better to go with a C-60, so we regulate the
> output?

The Brand X C60 is only 12/24 vdc - so its a no go - but the old C40
will do 48 vdc systems.

Using a relay with a 60 amp DC load would be pretty severe - but there
are other options - such as using a solid state relay instead of the
relay and setting the time delays on the MX60 to zero - which puts it
into PWM mode (like the C40 diversion mode).  This of course still
allows the MX60 to MPPT control the PV array at the same time as it PWMs
the diversion load since the control of the solid state relay is via the
AUX OUTPUT.

I have ordered one of the following solid state relays to test out with
the MX60's AUX OUTPUT - it looks like just the ticket for adding PWM
diversion to a system controlled by the MX60.

http://www.hellroaring.com/common.htm  (yes that is the correct link)

> 2) If the controller failed this could be bad (boiled batteries followed
> by hydro damage from over rpm, I would expect). It seems that it would
> make sense to set the MX60 to limit the PV just a bit above the
> diversion setpoint, so at least we'd turn off the PV if something failed
> between the MX60 and diversion elements. I don't suppose this is really
> redundancy, but rather a safety net so long as the MX60 didn't fail
> full-on.

The MX60 won't fail full-on (or at least we can't imagine a way for it
to do this without several failures at the same time).  The diversion
mode for the AUX output is adjustable in tenths of a volt either above
or below the MX60s regulation setpoint - it then automatically stays
sync'd with the tempcomp changes, bulk-absorb-float modes and
equalization.  Pretty nice to have everything work together.

> 3) Does this configuration make sense? Is there a better way to do this?

I would suggest an additional back-up control for the diversion load
system - in case the water heater element or the control failed - this
can be done with the AUX OUTPUT from the FX inverter and a plain old
relay (the FX can not be set to PWM the diversion loads like the MX60 -
but it does have a on-off type diversion mode).

Also - be sure to have the PT valve on the water heater dump to a safe
but visible location - I have seen them leak when operated frequently.
I also know people who put in redundant PT valves with situations like
this... or use a non pressurized tank with a good sized vent pipe out
the top.

> We'd really like to be able to divert all the power we harvest to do
meaningful work, so I'm hopeful some of you have thoughts on this. Why
just turn off the PV when we need hot water? I expect numerous folks
would benefit by a clean, safe design that let us make use of all the
power we can tap.

Yes - I am running a MX60 with a Hydro to maximize its DC power output
and am setting it up to dump the excess to a hot-tub... all in the name
of science of course - testing can be tough some times...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab8Ldbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com