Off-ideal Array Tilt Output [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Tue Apr 6 12:42:10 PDT 2004

Your opinion counts! We’re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6PVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Val Rad
Bill and all,
    While I don't have a vast amount of field experience, I have been
puzzled in the past while measuring voltage drop in array home run
conductors. On a very cold, sunny Utah winter day, I saw a much lower than
expected voltage drop for the amperage being produced. While consulting
Table 8, Chapter 9, I finally took a look at the notes at the bottom of the
table, and saw the temperature correction formula. Wire resistance in Table
8 is for conductors at 75 C. It was probably 10 C on that particular
morning. The correction for this lower ambient temperature results in wire
resistance being 21% lower than the table value. I measured still lower wire
resistance than this calculated value.
    This temperature correction factor could negatively affect wire
resistance in instances where wiring and raceways are exposed to direct
sunlight, but for long, buried home runs, this temperature correction can
result in 10% lower wire resistance in cool soil. Not that I'd use this
correction in design calculations, but it may be a positive contributing
factor in some (especially low voltage) installations.
    I guess that my main point is, are folks actually measuring voltage
differences across conductors as they assess the contributions of wire
losses, or are they using table data? Note 1 in Table 8 seems worth
considering...

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC
Escalante, UT